I would like to share another precaution we are taking with the girls. I'm sure with all the other out of the norm "crazy" things we are doing like cloth diapers and delayed immunizations this is going to make me sound like a paranoid freak but here it goes.
There have been studies about BPA "Bisphenol A" (a chemical used in almost everything plastic, especially bottles and baby toys) and it's potential harmful effects. http://www.newbornfree.com/ is a great resource, they sell BPA-free products and have the latest news articles relevant to this debate.
With all this said, I'm choosing to use Medela bottles and nursing supplies because their products are BPA-free. I'm also going to be cautious on the type of toys we get for the girl's due to BPA being in everything. Now I understand that they will still be exposed and I'm not going to be psycho about it but I'm going to try and eliminate the main sources! If you have never heard of BPA check out the website and you can also google search it.
I've posted part of an article by Elizabeth Weise and Liz Szabo, USA Today - I linked it from the website above if you want to read the full article.
"The European Union and California have banned some phthalates from toys. And a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services concluded that one form of phthalate used in intravenous tubing and other hospital equipment could hamper the development of baby boys' reproductive tracts.
Bisphenol A and phthalates are sometimes called "everywhere chemicals" because they're so widely used. Bisphenol A, which is used to make plastics clear, strong and shatter-resistant, shows up in water bottles, food containers, baby bottles, some dental fillings and the coatings for the inside of cans containing foods. Phthalates (pronounced THAL-ates), which make plastic soft and flexible, are used in toys, rattles, teethers, car interiors and medical devices such as tubing, catheters and intravenous bags.
Nearly every American has been exposed. A 2000 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found phthalates in the urine of 75% of people tested. CDC research has shown that 95% of Americans have detectable levels of bisphenol A in their bodies.
There's mounting evidence, some of it in human studies and more in mice and rat studies, that these chemicals also may trigger hormonal changes. That is why they are labeled "endocrine disruptors": They can mimic the hormones that the body releases and are believed to be capable of interfering with the reproductive systems of fetuses and babies, even at extremely low doses."
1 comment:
Jo, you look so good and super CUTE! love ya
Post a Comment