So tell me why the most natural thing can be (and was) the most stressful thing in the world!? After 6 weeks of cracked nipples and unsatisfied babies we made an appointment with a lactation consultant...that was last Tuesday. I'm so glad we went because we discovered many important issues...first Claire...she is a tongue thruster and when we did a pre and post weight after nursing she got absolutely NOTHING from me!!! This made me very sad and I felt awful (good thing we've been supplementing). She had been gaining weight fine so I wasn't starving her but still that was in the back of my head..."oh that one time she was crying and you couldn't figure out why...well she was hunger...your a bad mom!" Those are the inner voices that you wish would go away but they linger and taunt you!!
Now to Lucy...she is also a tongue thruster and she has a 1 degree tongue tie...meaning the little tendon that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth is attached a little higher than normal. It's not bad enough that she will need it cut but it does affect her nursing abilities. With all that she did get an 1 1/2 oz's when she nursed...well and good but that's not enough which leads me to the next issue...
she discovered that I don't have an adequate milk supply for both babies!! DU DU DUN...so she prescribed me Reglan which is the last resort in increasing milk supply. It has side effects and after two days of taking it I stopped!! Let's just say that the crazy train came rolling through and to regain my sanity I had to stop taking it.
So with all that...I'm now pumping for the girls and know for a fact that they are getting enough food. They seem to be satisfied for longer and mommy is A LOT happier...it has completely taken the stress off of my shoulders and quieted all those nasty little voices that question your ability. I wanted so badly to be able to nurse my babies but as long as they are getting breast milk - I don't care how it's administered!
In closing to all those pregnant moms or women who wish to have children and desire to nurse them...DO NOT wait to get help...go even if there is not a problem just to reassure and verify that your baby (or babies) is (are) latching correctly and getting enough to eat. It will save you weeks of heartache and keep your mind from wondering and those nasty voices away...well at least they won't be talking about nursing...I hate to admit that they will undoubtedly be there whispering about something else. Take heed and know that every minute-every day-every week gets better and the joy of watching a baby grow is indescribable.
Cheers and happy breastfeeding!!
2 comments:
Terri- You did such an amazing job with nursing and from your experience and Emily's I will be visiting the lactation consultant right away (and also supplementing from the get go). Give those nipples a rest. You deserve it and now Jason can help with the feedings :) I'm sure that'll be nice at 3am!!!!
Amen to that! Breastfeeding is the hardest part of new mommyhood. No one tells you this and noone expresses the feelings. Thank you for speaking on behalf of so many of us! You are such a great mom and incredible woman! I admire your strength, determination, and positive attitude. Keep it up Terry!
Post a Comment