Friday, April 10, 2009

365 days ++

M.I.A. - yes I have been...because Lucy and Claire are the busiest, curious little creatures EVER! They keep me on my toes all day long...they are doing something new everyday. I'm not sure if this is a bad thing but when I see pictures from when they were newborns I really do not get sad (more like a happy nostalgic thing) because they are seriously so much fun right now and everyday is something new...a new face, a new look, a new ability to be a little more independent (this is a big one), new ways of communication and then the best is when you can see (in their expressions) the pieces of the puzzle start to come together when they are playing/exploring and the fact that they are starting to understand the how&why’s of everything! I'm not sure if I articulated that the way I feel but I know most parents will understand what I mean.

On the flip side I've missed some pretty major milestones...which are below

1. Lucy is a walker! Hello this is like huge news and I haven't posted it yet but 3 days after their first birthday she took her first steps and has been improving her skills ever since then.

2. Their one year check ups - it went well they are meeting all of their milestones. Lucy weighed in at 19lbs 6oz (25%) Length 29inches (50%. Claire weighed in at 17lbs 11oz (10%) Length 28 1/2 inches (50%).

As you can tell Claire is on the small side so only after an entire year of questions regarding her bowels and how tiny she is her pediatrician finally referred us to a GI specialist in Indy at Riley's Children Hospital. We met with the specialist on March 24th and it was so reassuring and helpful. The doctor was awesome and we left with a lot more information than we've received this entire year. We left with two instructions, first increase the dose of Miralax (since it's non-toxic) to get her bowels going regularly. Ok this poor girl has been struggling in this area since she was about 2 months old...she and I have had some pretty traumatic experiences because of her problem (more traumatic for her I'm sure)...I won't go into detail but the poor thing has needed my assistance to go poo on more than one occasion...ouch! Well I have wonderful news...after two days of increasing her Miralax she is a regular old pooper! :) Second her size-she had a whole serious of blood test-Ouch again and also we got sent home with instructions to put her on a non test "test"-which was to add 1 packet of Carnation instant breakfast to her bottle 2-3 times per day for two weeks...if she gains weight then she just needs more calories if she doesn't then we'll look further into the issue...well she went back for her weight check two days ago and she gained a whole pound in 2 weeks she now weighs 18lbs 13oz...HOORAY! She never looked unhealthy or sickly just really tiny but now you can just see how much she needed the extra weight. All the blood test came back normal except her zinc levels. Zinc, much to my surprise, is a very important element for proper weight gain because it effects the appetite (along with a bunch of other stuff, I'm still researching it) so she will start receiving a supplement to increase her levels.

Notable things for both:

Wearing size 3 diapers
Wearing size 9-12 month clothes (some 18 month fit them but on Claire they are big)
Transition to their Britax Marathon car seats (obviously still rear-facing and will be until they outgrow the capacity~30lbs)
Taking two naps (morning and mid-afternoon)
Drinking 3 bottles a day (morning, afternoon and evening)
Eating a variety of foods – I just bought a whole barrage of snacks the other day
Love avocados, grilled cheese, gold fish and the new discovery of graham crackers
Still love bath time
Can say “bye bye” “hi” “momma” “dada” working on “doggy”
Can sign “more” “all done”
Blow kisses like it’s their job
I turned my back for a sec and they were both playing in the dryer…I was right there in the same room!
Love the outside-I say outside or bye bye and Claire is waving and walking to the door and of course she screams when we have to come back in
Love to kiss and hug their babies (too darn cute)

Claire:
Is a complete copycat and will try to mimic whatever we do…she actually tried to whistle yesterday
CLIMBS CLIMBS CLIMBS on, in and over everything
Can also say “baby”
Is a ham and has the funniest little personality…if she does something and we laugh at her she will continue to repeat it just to get the reaction out of us…hilarious!


Lucy:
Can also say “up”
Also is a climber and if Claire doesn't get to it first-she'll climb it (whatever it is)
Pointing like crazy at everything (especially lights)
She is the quiet yet naughty one-she is quick to strong arm her sister and take her down if she starts to crowd her space (aka get in arms reach of her) and can throw a fit like no other…however she is content to sit and snuggle and just be close and is so sweet and affectionate.

I love these girls more and more each day! I wake up everyday so excited just to be with them and watch their little minds and bodies grow…everyday is a new adventure and I wouldn’t miss it for all the money in the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post and I am so glad things are going so well for you all. I miss this stage so much but your right I look back and enjoy it but so enjoy where they are now. My girls have enetered into the painting nails ALL the TIME!!! LOL! Make-up and dress up phrase. It is a blast. Keep on enjoying your blessings. You can tell you are a great mom to them. Take Care!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm just reading your blog though my cousin's blog. Just wanted to see which dr you are seeing at Riley. We see Dr. Wilson..but anyway..don't worry too much about her weight if she is developing okay. My daughter will be 3 years old in two weeks and she weighs 21 lbs and 3 ounces. We were going to Riley about once a month and we tried everything..Pediasure, carnation, nothing helped. They have done test after test and nothing still. Now we only have to go once every 6 months. She also had issues with pooping. : ) She seems to be great now..and she has developed exactly where she should be. Just wanted to let you know..so you don't worry. Your girls are beautiful by the way. Take care.