One year ago...how am I even getting ready to create this post (I've needed to sit down and write about milestones and bench markers but a last I have not and Drake is one!
Ok, so one year ago God blessed our family with an adorable, healthy, happy and amazing little boy. Many know but some do not, until the day Drake was born we were not sure if he was going to have Down's Syndrome...he had some slight markers early on and it was one of those issues you completely give to God and that's what I did. Jason and I treated his pregnancy and birth like we would with any...that's not to say we did not have a completely uncomplicated pregnancy with no hiccups but ummm it's pregnancy and the "unexpected" is expected! Another little issue that Drake had before birth was an irregular heartbeat, it was so noticeable that I caught it before the nurse ever brought the doctor in to listen. Ok with those side notes out of the way (and I only jot them down for the purpose of recording this experience)....Drake was born a perfectly healthy baby. No issues with his heart and he (obviously) does not have Down's.
Labor was kind of crazy because I waited so long to go to the hospital. The reason I waited with Drake is I was in labor at the hospital for 24hrs with the girls and I was very determined not to have that happen again. My mom was here helping with the girls and I looked at her and told Jason, "ok, I'm ready for my epidural let's go to the hospital". For me to say that, I meant business...by the time I got to the hospital I was 6cc dialated and having pretty strong contractions...I guess I should note that Jason went through McDonald's drive through on the way to the hospital, I was in too much pain to argue my case against it. I completely underestimated the convenience of living in a big city when delivery the girls, and have an anesthesiologist on hand at the hospital because much to my extreme dismay they had to call the anesthesiologist in and let me just say that he took his sweet time! So, I went into the hospital thinking they'd sign me up wheel me back and give me some pain relief but nope...in fact I labored for almost 2hrs before I got my epidural and in fact the nurse did not check me until I received my epidural because she knew that I was so close to not being "able" to get one. It was a grueling 2hrs and yes I know it's childbirth not a day at the spa but wowzers! So...another thing to note with a small town hospital they had to call my doctor in because she was not there and like the anesthesiologist she took her sweet time in fact she nearly missed the whole thing. Ok...epidural on board for about 15mins...I'm feeling much better and my nurse checks me and guess what "you're fully dilated"...ok do not push and we'll go call the doctor AGAIN. Doctor Benson comes in and takes one look..."ok so he's right there, she never took her eyes off me the entire time she scrubbed in and in fact while she was sitting down held his little head back until she said "ok next contraction just relax...this is what you call a submissive delivery" that's right he was so right there that I didn't even have to push.
A total of 3hrs later the little man came into the world and stole our hearts! Drake filled a space in our family and in our hearts that we never knew was empty. He's been the best baby, litterally I think he's one of the happiest, funniest, quirkiest little dudes around. He makes us laugh everyday. He's adored by his big sisters, spoiled by his grandparents, attached to mommy and daddy's little sidekick.
Drake Michael you are such a joy and I cherish everyday that I get to be your mommy!
I love you little man!
No comments:
Post a Comment